Vaping Epidemic

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

Bradley Templeton, Writer

In the 80’s it was cocaine, in the 90’s it was heroin, in the 2000’s it was opioids, and now in the 2010’s, the current epidemic is vape.

Gone with the ideas of the old, people went from habits of smoking to vaping in order to find a new buzz through the nicotine that was believed to be safer.

While vape is a safer alternative to smoke from cigarettes, there is still no reason to believe that it is healthy for you. It’s like the difference between drinking a can of Red Bull vs drinking a can of Coke. Both have caffeine, both are bad for you, but one has less sugar.

According to www.sciencenewsforstudents.org, “when Irfan Rahman, Ph.D of the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York talked to young vapers, some complained of bleeding mouths and throats. And these bloody sores seemed slow to heal. Such reports concerned this toxicologist, so he decided to investigate what the vapors inhaled from electronic cigarettes might be doing to mouth cells.

Last October, his team showed those vapors inflame mouth cells in ways that could potentially promote gum disease. That gum damage can destroy the tissues that hold teeth in place, so severe gum disease could lead to tooth loss.”

That’s not all that can happen from vaping- the juice used to make vape can contain carcinogens and cause “smoker’s lung.”  

Alternatives to vape can include nicorette gum, a gum that contains nicotine but is still harmful for people to chew. It can lead to other problems, such as stomach ulcers. Of course you should not chew this gum unless you are having trouble kicking your smoking habits, as it is considered illegal in some states for kids under 18 to purchase this gum.

Look out for upcoming informational sessions regarding vaping on the school district’s website.