Florida Teen Fights for Gun Reform

Micah Phillips, Social Media Editor

Emma Gonzalez is an 18 year old Senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. She was one of the survivors of the mass shooting that happened at her school on February 14, 2018. That fatal day resulted in the death of 17 people, students and staff.

Emma Gonzalez is one of the students who is not standing by this tragedy. She is being a strong advocate for gun laws being reformed. Just recently, she was found at an anti-gun rally on Saturday the 17th. Instead of doing homework over the weekend, she was working on her speech for this rally. After her approximately 10 minute long speech, she became famous on forms of social media. She was almost instantly trending on Twitter after the speech, and has gained the respect of many students across the country.

She is ready for the “March for Our Lives,” on March 24, which is a national march in Washington, D.C. aimed at gun reform and reducing mass shootings in America. Emma also just spoke at CNN’s Town Hall Meeting February 21.

Emma’s father is an attorney and her mother is a math tutor. Her parents are supportive in their daughter’s role taking on politicians supported by the National Rifle Association.

Emma Gonzalez is a strong and powerful woman who is taking the nation by storm; she is ready for change and is not stopping until she gets it.