Truth About Lizard Care

www.wikipedia.org

Jackson Underwood, Graphics Editor

Disclaimer

Do NOT use ONLY this information to care for your scaly friend. Make sure you do heavy research on the specific lizard you want before you make a purchase.

Never Put Too Many In One Cage: Most lizards are extremely territorial towards other lizards, even of their own species. It’s a ground rule that you should never have more than two lizards per tank and that you should never house two males together. And unless you want a bunch of baby lizards running around, then I suggest not keeping a male and a female in the same tank. Of course, this is not always the case because each species of domestic lizards varies with their feelings toward roommates.

Two females with each other can end in a few different ways. Either they get along, fight, or ignore each other. The violence can be prevented by giving each lizard their own heating rock, hide, climbing branch, etc. Even if you bought separate items for them you should still be weary on how they act towards each other.

Live Insects Are NOT an Option: The worst part of having a pet lizard for most is handling the bugs. While not all lizards have a heavily insect-based diet, most do. Often pet owners who don’t have the stomach or the room to house live insects for food just buy already dead ones. You should never feed your lizards insects that have already passed for many health reasons. For one, chasing prey is how predatorial lizards get exercise. Secondly, the already dead insects contain little to no nutritional value, no matter how much protein powder you put on it. If you can’t have the bugs, then don’t get the reptile.

Handling: Once bringing a lizard home you should give it a day or two to adjust to its new home before picking it up. Again, this may vary for the different types of lizards. Don’t be afraid that its tail will fall off as soon as you hold it. It doesn’t just fall off when it’s scared, but it will disconnect if you handle it by its tail or if you pet it too roughly by the tail. Also make sure you check the room temperature and the time of having the lizard out of its tank, because too much cold air may lead to serious health issues.  

Why are Lizards such good pets?: Other than being fairly cheap, they don’t have any fur to shed or make dandruff, so it would be a great pet for someone with pet allergies.