How Do Sports Affect Students?

www.wikipedia.org

Emily Lemerand, Writer

Everyone learns a different way whether it’s visually, physically, or verbally, although, children’s learning ability changes as you add new factors such as homelife, friends, and sports. In 2011, a study was done by U.S. News stating that 55.5% of high schoolers play a sport- nearly 7.6 million teenagers.

According to Jasper Smits, the director of Anxiety Research and Treatment Program at Southern Methodist University, playing sports can help reduce anxiety as well as depression. He also said several times that sports do not only help long term, but can overall help improve your mood and restore your energy.

Sports do not only have emotional and mental benefits, but they have physical benefits, as well. The short term benefits of playing sports include weight control, a low strain on the heart, greatly increased heart rate, and helping athletes sleep at night.

The director of University of Miami Center for Research on Sports, Jomills Braddock II, stated, “We are finding that individual students who participate in sports are less likely to be hostile or antagonistic toward other students regardless of their race or ethnicity.” This is because of the fact that students use teamwork in most sports as well as contributing to the end goal.

Data shows that African-American student-athletes are 10 percent more likely to be accepted into AP classes and to plan for college over non-athletes. Also, according to Braddock, “Involvement in sports appears to enhance a student’s academic aspirations, investments, and achievements.” Again, data shows that student-athletes are far more likely to enroll in college prep programs and graduate in general.

Many people think that sports affect students’ learning ability in the classroom; they do, but for the positive. When students play sports, it requires them to memorize, repeat, and learn. All these skills translate into the classroom. In both places, goals are created and achieved.

Most data has shown that when students play sports, there are more benefits than negative downfalls. Sports help academically, physically, and helps reduce pressure as well as stress.