Players of the Week

Valuable players from the Power-5 Conference

Nolan Mitchell, Business Manager

Big Ten- QB J.T Barrett – Ohio State Buckeyes

Barrett absolutely killed it in this Week 8 showdown. This game was similar to a western town’s biggest baddest outlaws, meeting in the bar and duking it out. And the buckeyes- most notably J.T Barrett- prevailed as the biggest baddest cowboy. A PSU defense that was gassed up as one of the nation’s best failed to contain this Heisman hopeful, completing almost 85% of his passes for 328 yards and four touchdowns. This was all but one of the Buckeyes’  touchdowns. Also notable were his team, leading 95 rushing yards. Simply put, J.T got a head start on Thanksgiving and carved Penn State up.

S.E.C-  RB Sony Michel – Georgia Bulldogs

When Nick Chubb isn’t on his game, you would think Georgia would struggle. But an unsung hero by the name of Sony picked up the slack when necessary. One just wonders why he doesn’t get the ball more. I mean, this man is hungry, showing this with a six-rush, 137-yard game that featured a 74-yard touchdown run along with a 45-yard touchdown run. I would like to compare some key stats for you:

Michel – 629 rushing yards  Chubb – 765 rushing yards

Michel – 74 carries Chubb – 120 carries

Michel – 8.5 AYPC Chubb – 6.4 AYPC

Michel – 8 TD Chubb – 9 TD

Look out for an NFL team to steal this senior in the 2018 draft.

ACC- QB Kelly Bryant – Clemson

It wasn’t really a Heisman spotlight game or worth remembering for the entire season, but hey, it was a notable performance and got the job done without any flaws. At 64% for 210 and two touchdowns? Sprinkle 67 yards rushing on top of there and it doesn’t get much more solid then that. I mean, if you find someone who had a better game in the ACC, let me know. For now, the honor belongs to Bryant. Who, by the way, has more than made up for the departure of Deshaun Watson from last year’s National Championship winning team. This guy is a stud.

Big-12 WR CeeDee Lamb – Oklahoma

You could legitimately pick three players a week from this Oklahoma squad to qualify for Conference Player of the Week. But this week, it is wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, who has quietly been a key piece to this Oklahoma offense. However, in this game he was the lock, the key, the door- everything really. Averaging 16.3 yards a catch, cashing out at a bill 147 and two touchdowns, it was a matchup against an average Texas Tech defense that has not allowed that many points a game. Watch out for this guy to have one more big game before the season’s up.

Pac-12 RB Myles Gaskin – Washington

No big plays here (besides a 34-yard scamper), just a good old-fashioned high carry ground game performance. Gaskin has been a very under-the-radar running back all season, cashing in with only his third game of over 100 yards, but one of those went for 200+. Anyway, back to this week. You would think 27 carries got you a low AYPC total, but 6.3 is stellar. A smaller back, but also a legitimate receiving out of the backfield, this junior will probably be making an impact into next season. Stat totals for Week 8- 27 CAR, 169 YD, 1 TD, 2 REC.