Newly Released JFK Information

Micah Phillips, Social Media Editor

The federal government just released thousands of records from the assassination of President John F. Kennedy that happened on November 22, 1963 in Dallas, Texas. Trump went out to Twitter on October 21 to tell the American people that “subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.” This is in compliance with the 1992 law which requires the release of National Archives after 25 years.

People are still suspicious though, saying that the hesitation to post these documents is because the government is still trying to protect their own secrets about this case. Government officials have refuted it, saying that there is nothing to hide and that the only hesitation to post was in the interest of keeping up national security.

Larry Sabato, the director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics and the author of the book The Kennedy Half- Century, responded to buzzfeed saying, “If they don’t release the documents, it would fuel a new generation of conspiracy theories, and that everybody who’s mentioned in these documents is dead.”

The fact that the people involved in these government cases are all mostly dead give the conspirators something to conspire about against the government.

These records entail a variety of different material from that fatal day in history. There is tons of raw evidence and files which get quite messy. Handwritten notes and pictures from the C.I.A are often fuzzy and/or illegible. All these files posted would be a mess to actually put together and read, but are still interesting artifacts from one of our nation’s tragedies.

All the records have not been released though. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, “The National Archives will therefore release more records, with redactions only in the rarest of circumstances, by the deadline of April 26, 2018.”

The fact that not all the files are released can cause some people think suspiciously about the government hiding things from them. Make sure to hang on tight, because eventually there are going to be plenty of different conspiracy theories and unanswered questions. This happens to just about every national story; people will always find something to say and it will be interesting seeing what people may come up with.

The information currently released is just bits and pieces of a bunch of government records, and putting them all together would take quite some time, but these are still interesting pieces of history. For anyone who doesn’t work in the government and doesn’t get to see raw files like that in day-to-day life, I recommend looking through these files.  

To look at these files, go to the National Archives website and search “JFK Assassination” in the search bar.