Children of the Bridge

Kylie Stowe, Writer

“These kids … Couldn’t they just go skip rocks on the river or something instead of doing something so senseless? They took away somebody’s father, somebody’s son, and we’re never going to get that back,” Kristina Cagle, sister-in-law of the victim said, according to an mlive.com interview.

On October 18, five teens between the ages of 15 and 17 were charged as adults after allegedly throwing a six-pound rock off the Dodge Road overpass. It smashed through the windshield of a 32-year-old Mt. Morris man’s van. The impact of the rock broke the man’s skull, ribs, clavicle and facial skull; the cause of death was said to be blunt trauma to the head and chest.

The five teens involved with the incident are being charged with second-degree murder, conspiracy to commit second-degree murder, and malicious destruction of property. Some believe they should be sentenced to life in prison, but others are saying they need a chance to have a life outside of prison.

This incident is not the first of its kind, there have been many studies showing that teens’ reasoning skills are not as well developed as those in their adulthood. For example, in 2014 a Florida teen recorded himself “driving like an idiot”, which had caused him to get into an accident. After being airlifted to the hospital the teen- Robert Kelly- posted the video while the New Smyrna Beach police waited outside to arrest him for reckless driving, fleeing the scene, and driving without a license, according to nydailynews.com. Children and teenagers do not understand the consequences of their actions.

As stated by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the frontal cortex, which is the reasoning center of the brain, is not fully formed until a person is in their mid-20s. Studies have showed that adolescents are more likely to act on impulse and put themselves in dangerous situations more often, leading to tragedies like the one that happened this past October.