Pistons’ Recent Success Promising

Andre Drummond motions to shoot a free throw. Drummond’s success from the free throw line recently has drastically improved the team’s success.

www.wikimedia.org

Bradley Templeton, Writer

The Detroit Pistons have been on a ride to start the season with a record of 10-4, breaking all expectations that were set for them at the beginning of the season. Three important things can attribute to this that has made this team into a top contender for a playoff run.

1: The rise of Avery Bradley. Avery Bradley has been on a hot streak with Detroit, shooting a career high in three-point percentage (44%), points (17.8 per game), and steals (1.5 per game) giving the team an all-around shooting guard that plays with grit. Bradley had trouble getting into the swing of things last year with the Boston Celtics, only playing 55 out of the 82 games in the season. Many are hoping he can continue his play throughout the year and stay healthy.

2: Depth at point guard. Reggie Jackson is back after being injured for most of last year due to knee tendinitis and after rehabbing it all summer, he looks great for the start of the year. On top of Reggie coming back, point guards Ish Smith and Langston Galloway signed over the summer and are great options to control the ball when Jackson needs a break. These three guards will act as a safety net in case Reggie has problems again with injuries, as Ish Smith has shown from his history of starting in the past.

3: Andre Drummond can make free throws. Drummond’s free throw percentage might be a reason as to why the Pistons are doing so well. His problems at the line have cost them games in the past, with his career percentage at 39% (lowest in the league among starters). Drummond is shooting a pleasant 70% from the line, almost double what he used to shoot. In 14 games, he’s converted on 41 free throws, meaning without him doing so well from the line the Pistons would’ve lost several of the games already this year that were won by close games of four points or less. It’ll be interesting to see what he’ll finish with for the year, but this has been his best start in his career so far.

As of now, the Pistons currently sit at second in the Eastern conference, and if these factors keep contributing like they are right now, you might need to look into buying playoff tickets before they become too expensive!