Trump Administration to Relocate U.S Embassy in Israel

The view overlooking Tel Aviv, Israel

The view overlooking Tel Aviv, Israel

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

The view overlooking Tel Aviv, Israel

Bradley Templeton, Writer

The Trump Administration is postponing the relocation of the embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem due to promises during his campaign from the 2016 election. Controversy has surrounded this decision because of the religious tension between the Muslim and Jewish population in Israel. Tel Aviv is known as a common residency of people that believe in the Muslim faith, and Jerusalem is known as a sacred city of the Jewish religion.

Many think this has to do with the Trump Administration’s recent immigration ban of people from a select number of countries- many of which are of the Muslim majority. A factual reason with evidence is due to an old law passed in 1995 that has to do with the Embassy moving to Jerusalem, but was later shelved due to domestic terrorism in the city of Tel Aviv calming down.

Vice President Mike Pence said in a speech on Tuesday, November 28 that Trump “is actively considering when and how to move the American Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.”

Pence will visit Israel in December to address this issue and conversate with lawmakers there to get the best scenario for both sides. In practice, Pence was simply reiterating the principles of the 1995 law, which requires the move but gives presidents the leeway to hold off if they certify that doing so is “necessary to protect the national security interests of the United States.”

Failure to invoke the waiver would trigger the law’s enforcement mechanism — a 50 percent cut in State Department funding for acquisition and maintenance of facilities overseas until the administration certifies that the embassy in Jerusalem has opened. Officials say that would require the construction of a new embassy because simply relabeling the U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem as an embassy is not feasible.