Worst Animated Films

The best of the most atrocious animated movies

www.wikipedia.com

Jackson Underwood, Graphics Editor

Have you ever watched that one animated movie that you thought was going to be great, but it just ended up leaving a sour taste in your mouth? While there are many cartoon features that left great impacts on the childhood of a large number of people, sadly, with every great film there are many flops that leave many wondering the same question: why?

The concept of animation was created in the late 1800s, but was never truly mainstream until a century later in the early 1990s. A whole 53 years after the first fully animated film ‘Snow White” by Walt Disney, they became mainstream; feature after feature was pumped out. Some were quicker and more rushed than others, which tended to show.

“Cars 2”

Cars 2” was released in 2011 by Pixar and was not received well by the public, with 39% on Rotten Tomatoes and 5.5/10 stars. Many critics describes it as an infomercial about Pixar’s new line of toys. The first issue is that they made the comic relief the main character, which has been very rarely done properly. It’s also a spy movie, despite it being the sequel to a racing movie.

“Shark Tale”

“Shark Tale” was an animated film released in 2004 by Dreamworks that was decently rated when it first came out. But as time went on and trends changed, the obvious pandering of the film stuck out like a sore thumb, getting a 35% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.4/10 stars. The movie used slang, and people that were very popular during the time of the movie’s release ended up aging as badly as rotten eggs. All script aside, the beauty of animation is the choice of character design and color that can be changed in almost any way to please the eyes of the viewer. More than 70% of “Shark Tale” has this greasy green algae color that just makes the film hard to look at.

Some critics believed the characters were made into fish to cash in on “Nemo,” a Disney film that came out a year before the release of “Shark Tale.” This movie could have been a live action mobster movie and nothing would have changed. The reason for having characters of different species is to give characters hurdles that they have to jump, but also to give relatability. What if Dory from “Finding Dory” could breath out of water? A large amount of care and tension would be lost because there is no threat. The only hurdles that Oscar had to jump were the issues that he made with his personality.

“The Emoji Movie”

What can be said that hasn’t already been said about this notoriously bad movie? Ever since the trailer came out for this movie, people speculated that the worst was to come. “The Emoji Movie” is known as one of Sony’s worst animated films with a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 2.5/10 stars. While the concept of the apps on your phone having sentient thoughts are interesting, at most, the entire film just felt like a pop culture-filled movie that was released three years too late. While the animation and color palette are actually really good and the movie features many great voice actors, the main story is lacking. It features the message “just be you,” which is a fine, but it’s so forced that it would make any seven year old watching it uncomfortable.

Another thing that should be said about this movie: ads. This movie has as much ad placement as a one hour try-not-to-laugh compilation. From apps, pop songs, and even phone companies, it feels like an hour and a half advertisement.

If Walt Disney were alive today, what would he think? Would he be amazed or disappointed by the new era of animation?