90th Oscars Shocked Viewers

www.wikipedia.org

Jazmyne Boone, Writer

On March 4, the annual Oscars celebrated their 90th anniversary. The award show honors the best movies and performances of 2017. According to The Washington Post, the show had 26.5 million viewers, which is 20 percent down from last year. Despite this, many viewers at home watched the award show and witnessed the best and most shocking moments of the night.

With talk-show host and comedian Jimmy Kimmel as the host, the night consisted of jokes and addressing the current issues within Hollywood. Kimmel focused a lot on sexual harassment in the workplace. During the Oscars he said, “If we can work together to stop sexual harassment in the workplace, women will only have to deal with harassment all the time in every other place they go.”

Viewers watching at home were shocked by the winner of Animated Best Short Film, which ending up being Kobe Bryant for his “Dear Basketball” film. This has caused some controversy throughout social media because in 2003, Bryant had been arrested on a charge of sexual assault. However, Bryant denied the claims and the case was dropped. This left many enraged, seeing how a big theme of the night was sexual harassment in the workplace.

This year’s Oscars have been the lowest rated since 1974, which did not go unnoticed by President Donald Trump. After the Oscars, Trump tweeted, “Lowest rated Oscars in HISTORY. Problem is, we don’t have Stars anymore – except your President (just kidding, of course)!” Kimmel responded with, “Thanks, lowest rated President in HISTORY.” This “feud” has now escalated with Kimmel talking more about how he really feels about Trump on his late night show.   

For all the nominees, the best part of the Oscars is the gift bag. According to TIME, for 2018, this gift bag was estimated to be worth $100,000. The bags were put together by the company Distinctive Assets, who are also known for their gift bags at the Grammys. The bag is said to contain high end makeup, diamond jewelry, fancy candy, trips, and many other stereotypical Hollywood things.