How To: Prepare for Spring Sports and Tryouts

Randa Lee, Writer

The week of spring sports tryouts has finally arrived bringing along a bundle of stress and the feeling of being overwhelmed. Whether you are playing softball, baseball, lacrosse, track and field, or anything else, starting out the season physically ready and confident in your skills will help with the toll the sport takes on your body. Here are some tips to help you properly prepare you to play your best.

How to begin:

One of the best ways to prepare for tryouts is to practice with others trying out or teammates. Try to attend as many conditioning practices as you can. This will not only help you get physically prepared, but you will be able to get to know the coach and/or teammates more. It also shows the coach that you care about being on the team and that you will put in the work to be a part of it.

The week before:

The week before, focus on technique and skill instead of endurance and physical power. If you feel you need to still work on fitness try to keep it at a calm pace. You don’t want to be sore at tryouts. This is the week to prepare for everything. Drink a lot of water during this time and maybe start cleaning up your diet and eating more protein.

The night before:

The night before, it is important that you stay calm and collected. Make sure you stay hydrated and eat a good dinner. Get all of your homework done early because the most crucial part of the night is to get a good night’s rest. Try not to stress! You will do your best no matter what so just stay confident and everything will work out the way it is supposed to.

The day of:

During school, try to not stress. Bring a big bottle of water and try to fill it up more than once. Also, pack some snacks to keep yourself fully nourished. Keep these snacks on the healthy side of the pyramid. If you feel overwhelmed just try and breathe. Tryouts will be a breeze and before you know it you will be back to playing the sport that you love.   

Nights between:

During the nights between tryouts, stay positive. Don’t think about the small mistakes you may have made, just put it aside and focus of being better for what’s coming. Focus instead on all of the preparation you put in. Eliminate anything that may cause you stress. Do your homework early and go to bed early! It will pay off.

Good Luck!