Safety Increases in Broward Community Schools

Micah Phillips, Social Media Editor

According to the superintendent of Broward County Public Schools, Robert Runcie, students will be required to have clear backpacks on their return from spring break.

One of the schools affected in this county is Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 were fatally shot and injured on Valentine’s day this year.

Any student without a clear backpack will be provided one at no cost,” according to JM Rieger from the Huffington Post on Twitter. Also, according to Patricia Manzzei of the NY Times, “Each student will also be given an ID badge. Students and staff will be required to wear the badges at all times.”

According to Runcie’s letter to the community on Wednesday, March 22, he also comments that the school is exploring “consolidating entry points, having staff use metal-detecting wands and potentially installing permanent metal detectors.” The school district is working with law enforcement to evaluate code red protocol and drills. They will also working on upgrading the surveillance systems at all schools in the county by June.

Also to increase safety, a new law passed in Florida will give Broward County $8.5 million to fund at least one armed police officer at each school by 2018-2019 school year. This includes $6 million to expand mental health services.

All these increases make students feel like prisoners. They say they are losing privacy and aren’t too happy about it. They are happy about the overall changes to safety but just wish it was regarding gun laws, not backpacks.