The Dark Side of Spring Break

Students+across+the+country+look+forward+to+spring+break%2C+but+seldom+realize+the+dangers+that+lurk.+Safety+needs+to+be+first+and+foremost.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Dark Side of Spring Break

Students across the country look forward to spring break, but seldom realize the dangers that lurk. Safety needs to be first and foremost.

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

Jazmyne Boone, Writer

For high school and college students, spring break is the best time to party. With tv shows, movies and the internet glamorizing spring break, all teens want to do is party, just like they see. However, behind these glamorized party scenes are extreme dangers and consequences that many do not know of.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, during the week of spring break males will drink an average of 12 gallons of alcohol each and females will drink 6.5 gallons on average. This is due to the expectation of drinking which leads to binge drinking. Dr. Eric Collins, an addiction psychiatrist said, “Binge drinking is probably one the most concerning of all activities that college students engage in while on spring break.” Binge drinking ultimately leads to alcohol poisoning which can cause injuries or in the worst case, death.

Spring break is one of the most common times of assault occurring. There’s crowds of people, loud music, yelling, and drunk people everywhere. According to the National Institutes of Health more than 600,000 students, ages 18 to 24 are assaulted by others who have been drinking and more than 90,000 students between 18 and 24 are victims of alcohol related sexual assault.  

One of the most dangerous spring break spots for students to go is Mexico. In March of 2017,  the U.S. State Department warned students to not travel to 14 of 30 of Mexico’s states. The warning put out by the department said, “U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, including homicide, kidnapping, carjacking and robbery in various Mexican states.” In 2014, 43 students went missing along with an increase in violence just in the state of Guerrero.

Many Florida cities have changed their rules related to alcohol during the month of March in order to reduce the amount of arrests. “If you choose to act up, and choose not to follow our rules, you’re going to jail,” said the Panama City Beach Mayor, Mike Thomas. In Panama City Beach alone, the police department has made a total of 220 arrests just in the first two weekends of spring break.