Is Social Media Taking Over Lives?

Students+use+phones+in+most+classes+for+research+and+other+class+tasks%2C+but+they+also+sneak+in+time+for+social+media%2C+too.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Social Media Taking Over Lives?

Students use phones in most classes for research and other class tasks, but they also sneak in time for social media, too.

Staff

Staff

Staff

Emily Lemerand, Writer

Social media is a go-to place to share what is happening in everyday life. That is the problem. Social media is easily accessible to nearly everybody who wants to tweet, share photos, or post anything. We are surrounded by technology in our daily lives and are constantly stuck on our screens.

“In today’s day and age we have become obsessed with virtual reality,” said Katy Holdcroft, a writer on Redbrick. She continues by saying that people are constantly on social media in a battling attempt to express their identity and to make themselves feel valued. This has gone as far as being upset that a picture doesn’t have enough likes or comments, although, likes don’t necessarily represent popularity or even how someone views another.

“We are stuck to our screens every minute of every day and can’t stand to tear ourselves from our valuable phones,” said  Khawaja Taha on the The Odyssey Online. Throughout the article, Taha made sure to announce that social media has changed our lives, dramatically, positively and negatively. She said that our phones drive our daily lives, and without any media, communication with others would be changed.

According to ABC News, a  study recently released by The Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life Project concluding that 78 percent of high school teachers find that digital technologies “encourage student creativity and personal expression.” Jennifer Woollven, a teacher at West Lake High School in Austin, Texas found that her students are more inclined and engaged to write when social media is involved. Not only does social media encourage creativity, but allows students to share their work with a larger audience.

Through positive and negative effects of social media, it has allowed advancements in the classroom, but essentially taken over different parts of our lives.