How to: De-Stress

This is an oregano plant. Many researchers, including NASA, says plants can remove nearly 87% of of air toxin within 24 hours.

www.wikipedia.org

www.wikipedia.org

Emily Lemerand, Writer

With only a little over a month left of school, things are coming to an end. Exams are right around the corner, and seniors are getting ready to graduate. Another year has passed, with a new one on its way. With all the fun and excitement, also comes stress, although many teens and adults for that matter, are not sure how to deal with their stress.

Go for a walk. According to The Huffington Post, walking helps clear heads, puts the body into a state of meditation, and boosts endorphins. Not only is walking good mentally, but helps maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Breath deeply. “Breathing exercises can help you relax, because they make your body feel like it does when you are already relaxed,” according to WebMD. In certain situations, taking a minute to yourself and focusing on breathing can be beneficial because it can help to reduce built-up tension by creating a large boost of oxygen. When some are nervous or stressed, they begin to have shallow breaths, which stimulates the nervous system.

Eat a snack. Dr. Drew Ramsey, assistant clinical professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University College, states that “the connection between the gut and brain is huge, and lots of interesting data supports the idea that the gut is a major mediator of the stress response.” He then continues saying that the gut is the largest organ in your immune system. Therefore, eating something may be beneficial. Take the snack and sit somewhere peaceful or quiet to help the mind relax.

Fill home/workplaces with plants. Chris Raimondi, a horticulturist in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ, said, “Leaf surfaces and roots digest contaminants in the air,” meaning that plants can help the relaxation response, decrease fatigue, headaches, and even sore throats.

Step away from screens. The University of Gothenburg, in Sweden conducted a study to find the results of how computer use has been a contributor to stress. Not only was it associated with stress, but also sleep loss, and depression, especially in women. The University advised men and women to stay offline and to stay off their screens at least an hour before they go to sleep every night.

Or plug in? Yes, many studies show that media contributes to stress, although the internet could also do the opposite. A study done by Cleveland Clinic, found that web-based stress management programs have helped decrease stress levels and helped boost emotional scores throughout a group of 300 healthy adults.

Play some music. Many say that classical music slows heart rates, lowers blood pressure, and decreases levels of stress. Although, any music puts dopamine in the brain which makes the body feel better. According to NCBI, humming or making music is also a beneficial way to relieve stress.

There are many other ways that have been proven to help reduce stress levels such as chewing gum, laughing, relaxing muscles, seeing friends, practicing yoga, drinking tea, or doing anything else to occupy the mind.