A.L.I.C.E.

Keeping school safe?

Jaiden Oliver, Writer

A.L.I.C.E. is a brand new system to the school, focused on being proactive rather than reactive. A.L.I.C.E. stands for Alert. Lockdown. Inform. Counter. and Evacuate. A.L.I.C.E. centers around the idea that if there is ever an intruder in a school, instead of turning off the lights, huddling in the corner, waiting, and not knowing what’s happening, students are allowed to do what makes them feel the safest. If a student wants to run away, he or she would be able to do so granted it does not jeopardize the safety of others. If a student wanted to stay and try to fight the intruder the student would be able to do so.

The students of Lake Fenton had important opinions on A.L.I.C.E. “If i’m being completely honest I think A.L.I.C.E is kind of ridiculous because the procedures we go through are kind of common sense and we’ve been told not to follow through for years. But its always been in the back of everyone’s head, so its rather or not they act.” Sophomore David Benjamin stated. Another student, Madisen McDaniel stated, “I didn’t like it. I thought it was kind of dumb, after twelve years were getting taught something new. Also it wasn’t really gone over that much we practiced it once and that’s it.”

Deputy Thomas the Lake Fenton’s resource officer and Lake Fenton Art teacher, Mrs. Sudia, had different opinions than the students.“ It’s a very proactive approach to the security and safety of the school. The thing I like about it is it lets individuals make a choice on what they are going to do, I feel it’s difficult to give a specific thing on what to do where A.L.I.C.E. gives you different options.” Stated Deputy Thomas. Mrs. Sudia had similar stance saying,  “The A.L.I.C.E. training is a good program for us to have to be prepared in the event something is to happen. That way the students and the teachers and the staff know the best way to handle the situation. So that everyone is safe and can make good educated decisions on what the best move is.”