Gay-Straight Alliance Club in Second Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

Alexis Mangett, Web Editor

Recently, Lake Fenton High School students have come together to create their own “Gay-Straight Alliance” (GSA). This club, first started in the 1980’s, is intended to be a safe place for students, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender. It is also known as “Gender-Sexuality Alliance” or “Genders and Sexualities Alliance”, and many other schools throughout the country have groups like this.

Lake Fenton’s version is run by Emma Smith, a Junior. They meet every Tuesday from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, and are supervised by Ms. Fasseel, a special education teacher. According to Smith, “GSA is an education kind of club that tries to include everybody and it’s to provide activism training, leadership training, and make the school more inclusive.” The goal of this club is to provide education for staff, students, and their families and to make sure that every student has a safe space no matter how they identify.

The “Gay-Straight Alliance” started by making posters to get the word out about the group. Although the club has only been running for two weeks, they have many plans for the future. “We want to have educational panels for parents and for teachers. We want to do booths at Pride, and get more inclusive books in the library,” said Smith.