National Blood Donor Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

National Blood Donor Month

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

www.wikimedia.org

Brie Newcombe, Photography Editor

The American Red Cross is known for doing many good deeds and hosting blood drives is just one of them. Blood drives allow hospitals to get the blood they need for transfusions that save lives. Many schools across the world host blood drives for their local hospitals. These school blood drives are often run by students and staff.

Just like many other schools, Lake Fenton High School has an annual blood drive. These functions are held in the high school gym. Water and snack tables are set up as well as beds for the students who donate blood. Only one liter of blood is taken from each donor and Lake Fenton has a goal of 35 liters of blood for 2019. This is four more liters then what was received in 2018.

In America, the age to donate blood is 17, or 16 with parental permission. Weight restrictions are also in place, as a donor needs to be at least 110 pounds to donate.

While transfusions are relatively new, blood focused medicine has been around for hundreds of years. The first transfusion took place around 1628, after English Physician, William Harvey discovered blood circulation. By 1665, the first successful blood transfusion was performed with dogs, by Dr. Richard Lower. Dr. Lower kept dogs alive with transfusions from other dogs. In the late 1800’s milk was used as a blood substitute, but was later removed as a substitute because of reactions.

Blood transfusions have been around for hundreds of years, and they continue to help save lives all around the world. Doctors and civilians alike work together to save people they may not even know. Donating blood is a life saving act that may change the path someone is walking.