We Need Avocados

If the boarder closes will we run out of avocados?

Emily Lemerand, Co Print Editor

We live in a health crazed society where many people buy avocados not only because they hold a variety of nutrients and have proven health benefits, but also because they are delicious.

According to The New York Times, a company in California called Henry Avocado Corporation recalled California-grown avocados in several states due to the chance of contamination of bacterium that could cause health risks. The company said there had been no reported illnesses associated with the recall and the imports from Mexico that were distributed by Henry Avocado were not recalled and could still be purchased and consumed.

Recently, there was a threat from president Donald Trump to shut down the U.S – Mexico border. This may not be a big deal to some, but many lives would be changed due to the fact the United States relies on imports such as fruit, vegetables, and alcohol from Mexico.

According to nbcnews.com, and Steve Barnard, the president and chief executive of Mission Produce, America would run out of avocados in three weeks if imports from Mexico were stopped. Barnard continued by saying that this is a poor time to shut down the border because of California’s small supply of avocados. Closing the border would leave Mexico to produce nearly 100% of avocados for Americans.

Trump said on Friday, March 29, that there’s a “very good likelihood” that he will close the border this week if immigrants don’t stop reaching the United States from Mexico. If the border was to be completely shutdown, it would create a problem for millions of legal border crossings and for asylum seekers. The closing would also disrupt billions of dollars in trade, from automobiles to food, and $137 billion in food imports.

If the U.S – Mexico border was to be permanently shut down, there would be immediate economic damage to American consumers and businesses. Mexico is America’s third-largest trading partner and many things would impact if imports were not able to come into the United States. The prices would rise, layoffs would occur immediately, and overall it would not help with border security. According to thewashingtonpost.com, Trump shortly backed off of his threat. Instead he agreed to give Mexico a “one-year warning,” and within that time would propose auto tariffs before considering to close the border.