Coffee in School: Pink Drinks and Perfect A’s?

Allison Hathaway

Coffee has become all of the hype these days. Americans all across the country drink it, whether on a school campus or in the comfort of their own home. From pumpkin spice lattes to americanos, coffee has made an enormous imprint on today’s society. Although caffeine isn’t the best thing to put into your body, teenagers all across America consume it without considering the effects that it has on them. In fact,  these teens are most likely students. According to several studies at Harvard University, coffee isn’t completely terrible, but in some cases, it isn’t completely harmless either. 

Everyone has their reasons to drink coffee. Whether it’s because you’re tired or you like the taste. Lake Fenton graduate, Abby Fletcher, stated, “I started drinking coffee because I liked the aesthetic and I was tired 24/7.” 

Another popular reason as to why students decide to drink coffee is because of the influence from their families. In fact, Lake Fenton graduate and tech member, Hannah Porritt, claims that she began drinking coffee because her dad was a big coffee drinker with his own espresso machine. 

What would coffee drinkers consume as an alternative beverage? According to Lake Fenton senior Harmony Saad, Coca-Cola would be her go-to. Also, tea is another popular preference. Regardless, English teacher Lauren Kondrat stated that her best replacement for coffee was water. 

Not only is waking up a hassle, but focusing can be as well, especially when you lost sleep the night before. Does coffee help solve that problem? Indeed it does. Saad claimed that she is constantly tired and it helps her stay awake.” On the other hand, Fletcher added,  “. . .if I had anxiety, it would just make it worse.” In fact, a study at Harvard concluded that the tolerance of higher intakes of coffee can cause an increase in anxiety, insomnia, and restlessness; this is not the case for depression. According to Harvard’s School of Public Health, there is a 24% decrease in the risk of depression as well as an 8% reduction with every additional cup of coffee.

Coffee may help improve attentiveness, but it doesn’t always help the stomach stay in a good place. According to Saad, it will occasionally suppress her appetite, causing her to wonder why she isn’t hungry. However, Porritt and Kondrat don’t seem to notice an effect as easily. In fact, According to Porritt, coffee is basically considered as a replacement for a snack.

Coffee helps students stay awake and feel more energized during the school day.  It is one of the most popular drinks in the country and it seems to be helping students with their energy and that seems to be enough for them.