Book Recommendations: Behind the scenes with Mrs. Alexander

Back to Article
Back to Article

Samantha Burtch, Editor

Walking into a library with no idea on what to read is a common problem. Thankfully, Mrs. Alexander has a good track record with reading books, as Mrs. Alexander is the Lake Fenton High School librarian. Her top three favorite books are Looking for Alaska by John Green, My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock, and the Guiness Book of World Records by Craig Glenday and Norris McWhirter. 

When she was asked what her top three book recommendations would be she replied with, “This is hard because there are so many,” she ended up going with these three books. 

She said, “My favorite young adult novel is Looking for Alaska by John Green because of the way it’s written. I think he really understood teens when he wrote it because he starts like 120 days before the event, and has a countdown to the climax of the story, and then it’s the aftermath of like four days after and nine days after.”

Then describing the next book she explained, “My second favorite book is My Year with Eleanor. It’s about this lady with a six figure job salary but she loses her job, and always has really bad anxiety. So, she decides to take a year and do one thing a day that scares her. You don’t get the little things she does every day, but you get the big things like when she swims with sharks and she does dog fighting and stand up comedy where she lives through it. You also learn a lot about Eleanor Roosevelt, because she’s the one who said there is nothing to fear but fear itself. She also had a lot of anxiety, mostly as her position of first lady, and how she too had to overcome it.”

Lastly, with her third favorite book, she said, “My third favorite book is the Guiness Book of World Records every year. Even as an adult I like looking at it, it’s great for all ages, and it’s also a spring board for kids who don’t like to read. A lot of the time they will find something interesting, and then research it, and then find something else. I also just really like the springboard books.¨

Grab a book and begin to read, you might be just as taken by the words, just like Mrs. Alexander is. If none of these books peak your interest, just ask her and she could easily help you find something that does.