Weird Holiday Traditions

Strange celebrations grounded in tradition

Wikipedia

Emily Lemerand, Writer

During the holidays, families gather together with all their traditions. Although, some of them are much more unique than others.

In Norway, Christmas Eve is a no-cleaning time. All the brooms are safely hidden in case of witches and evil spirits that take them away.

In Japan, many families have a tradition of eating of KFC on Christmas Eve, due to a campaigning ad in 1974.

Greenland has recipes that many families recreate. Mattak is raw whale skin that is served with blubber, and Kiviak is 500 dead auk birds stuffed into a seal’s skin that is eaten after seven months of sitting.

In the United States, many Americans try to replicate a German tradition. Every Christmas morning the first child who finds the pickle in the tree, placed by their parents, receives a small gift.

Many Portuguese families dedicate a morning feast called Consoda to their loved ones who passed away. They lay plate settings for the souls of the dead.

Ukrainian families decorate their Christmas trees with artificial spiders and webs.

In Iceland, it is known that the Yule Cat stalks the Icelandic hills. Also, if you do not receive new clothing before Christmas Eve, then you will be devoured by this huge cat.  

The Czech Republic has an odd tradition where all the single women throw a shoe behind their shoulder, and if the toe is pointing toward the door after it lands, then it means that the single women is going to get married within the next year.

In Sweden, they have a similar tradition. Each year around the holiday season, rice pudding is made with one peeled almond. The person to find that almond is predicted to be married within the next year.

In Great Britain, pudding is made at the start of each new year. Each family member is supposed to stir the pudding clockwise, while making a wish.

Lastly, Italy’s Christmas is much different from the traditional American holiday. It is held on January 5, where children receive gifts from a friendly witch named Befana.

Many countries have different traditions from American families, but they all share one thing: a sense of tradition.